110 for mass burials following Nigeria oil blast
Nigeria’s national emergency management agency, Nema, says mass burials are expected to take place Monday afternoon for dozens of victims of a huge explosion at an illegal oil refinery in the south-eastern state of Imo. The explosion left a wake of destruction in its path, including burnt cars and bodies.
Head of operations of the agency in the region, Ifeanyi Nnaji, told the BBC that so far 110 people have been confirmed dead – including a pregnant woman.
About 70 others were wounded in the blast – some now in critical condition in hospitals.
Most of the victims including workers and people who had come to buy fuel were burnt beyond recognition.
Many families could not identify the bodies of their loved ones caught in the disaster.
The authorities say the mass burials are planned to take place near the scene.
The owner of the refinery has been declared wanted by the authorities.
It is still unclear what caused the explosion, which occurred on Friday night through Saturday morning in the Abaeze community of the Egbema area.