Nigeria says 2014 Ebola Experience is helping to manage COVID-19
Nigeria’s Health Minister, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, has said that Nigeria’s experience during the outbreak of Ebola in the country in 2014 is helping health officials manage the current Coronavirus outbreak.
Nigeria last week started implementing some measures such as partial shutdown of the public service and private businesses, massive campaign on the media for social distancing, self-isolation and personal hygiene.
As at Thursday, officials say the country has 51 confirmed cases mainly in the Abuja, the Federal Capital, Lagos, the economic centre. Other states like Ekiti, Bauchi, Edo, Porth Harcout have minimal number of cases.
The Minister in the live press briefing also said the country received kits own share of medical donation from China’s billionaire, Jack Ma.
Some top government officials including Abba Kyari, the Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari and a state governor has tested positive for Coronavirus. President Buhari tested negative, according to Nigeria’s sources.
Kyari is reported to be sick shortly after he returned from Germany on March 14. Kyari did not self-isolate as Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) directed and attended a meeting on Sunday in Aso rock where he began to cough repeatedly and thereafter surrendered himself for testing. He has now gone into self-isolation for treatment.
With the rate of coronavirus infection rising in Africa, this newspaper has said the only way to curtail this pandemic in Africa is by a total lockdown of all activities for at least 21 days.
“The government should make strict policies about observance of the lockdown until the environment is safe.
If this situation is allowed to spread in Africa where most countries are unprepared for China, United Kingdom or Italy experience, many lives will be lost to poor healthcare facilities and poor social distancing cultures”