Xenophobic Attack: Again, Ramaphosa Apologises to Nigeria
Again, South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa has said that the Southern African country was deeply sorry over recent xenophobic attack on mainly Nigerians and their businesses in South Africa.
Ramaphosa said this at the first day of the Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari’s state visit to South Africa on Thursday.
President Buhari called on South Africa to take steps to ensure the violence is never repeated. At least 12 people including two foreigners were killed.
Although no Nigerians was died, according to officials, the violence prompted some retaliatory attacks on South African businesses in Nigeria and hundreds of migrant workers were repatriated from South Africa.
President Buhari’s visit is the first by a Nigerian leader since 2013.
The aim of the trip is to bolster trade ties as the two African powerhouses struggle to kick-start their stuttering economies.
Buhari arrived in South Africa on Wednesday night for a three-day state visit.
The president’s Twitter account has shared pictures of his arrival:
The trip comes at a time when relations between Africa’s two biggest economies have soured following a wave of xenophobic attacks in Johannesburg and other cities last month.
Hundreds of Nigerian citizens have since left South Africa.
Mr Buhari will be keen to show Nigerians that he is doing everything he can to protect their interests.
As well as addressing what his office called the “welfare of Nigerians”, he will also also attend a business forum and preside over the South Africa-Nigeria Bi-National Commission; an initiative created in 1999 to enhance relations between the two countries.