Nigerian Govt. UN disagree on ransom to Boko Haram for schoolgirls’ release
Nigerian government and the United Nations have dished out conflicting reports on the release of the schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in the North-Eastern part of the country earlier in the year.
While the United Nations published a report claiming that the Nigerian government paid a considerable ransom to Boko Haram for them to release the girls kidnapped in their school premises in the northern state of Yobe, Nigeria’s Information Minister, Lai Mohammed said the UN lied, insisting that the government did not pay any kobo to secure the girls’ release.
They were released by Boko Haram almost a month after the abduction, following the Nigerian government’s confirmation that they were negotiating with the terror group regarding the girls’ freedom.
“It is not enough to say that Nigeria paid a ransom, little or huge. There must be a conclusive evidence to support such claims,” Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed stated.
The official dismissed the UN’s claims as “a mere conjecture” until the global organization is able to provide evidence of the said-payment
Some 111 schoolgirls were ‘unaccounted for’ after suspected Boko Haram terrorists attacked the Government Girls Science Technical College in Dapchi, Bursari Local Government Area, of Yobe State.
Later in the day, the state government said some of the girls have been rescued: “The Yobe State Government hereby informs the public that some of the girls at Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC) whose school was attacked by Boko Haram terrorists last Monday have been rescued by gallant officers and men of the Nigerian Army from the terrorists who abducted them.
“The rescued girls are now in the custody of the Nigerian Army,” Abdullahi Bego, a spokesperson to the governor said in the statement. But, it was later confirmed that the girls were not rescued immediately until one month later.